Become a Retailer
Everybody knows you can win big playing the Lottery, but did you know that some of our biggest winners are actually our retail partners? Retailers earned an average of over $15,000 selling Lottery games in FY19. For a business like yours, the Lottery is much more than a fun way to play — it’s a great way to profit. Our retail network includes over 3,000 businesses all over the state.
How Much Money Can You Earn?
While annual profits vary from one retailer to the next, our retailers earn an average of more than $15,000 a year from selling Lottery games. Plus, every ticket sold increases your chance of selling a winning ticket. You can earn bonuses of $200 to $50,000 for selling Jackpot game top prizes, plus bonuses for select Scratch games. Further, meeting performance goals entitles you to bonus awards paid yearly.
- Scratch games commissions – 7%
- Jackpot games commissions – 6%
- Cashing bonus – 1%
Participating retailers complying with program qualifiers are eligible to earn an additional 7% commission on Scratch sales above their FY20 sales goal. Retailers must have been selling Lottery products by June 30, 2019, to qualify. See Retailer Award Incentive for Sales Excellence (RAISE) plan for complete details.
When Players Win, So Do You!
5 of 6 (WITH POWER PLAY OR MEGAPLIER)
5 of 6 (NO POWER PLAY OR MEGAPLIER)
SECOND PLACE PRIZE
$50 Scratch Game
$20 Scratch Game
$1 MILLION TOP PRIZE
How Much Does It Cost?
There are nominal charges that you will need to cover in order to be a Colorado Lottery retailer.
- Licensing Fee $21 per year
- Bonding Fee $40 per year
- Communications Fee $5 every week
Lottery Retailer Responsibilities
There are a few requirements that you must adhere to if you’re going to sell Lottery games.
- You must prominently display Lottery equipment and Scratch ticket merchandisers in a highly visible location.
- Lottery point-of-purchase materials need to be displayed in prominent areas. Flyers and Playslips need to be accessible to players.
- Secure storage is required for inactive packs of Scratch tickets.
- You must provide us with electronic fund transfer (EFT) authorization for your bank so that we can account for weekly billing.
- Remember, Lottery games can only be sold to players that are 18 years or older.
We Support Your Sales Efforts
We’re here to make sure that your Lottery business is successful. Listed are just a few things that we do to help you, and we’re always just a phone call away if you need more assistance.
- The Lottery will handle the installation of communications and equipment, and provide ongoing maintenance and service to the systems as necessary.
- You’ll receive eye-catching ticket merchandisers and point-of-purchase materials to market Lottery games to your customers.
- Training materials and additional resources including a retailer website are available to help Lottery retailers increase sales.
- A Lottery sales representative is assigned to your store to provide ongoing inventory management, marketing assistance and training for your employees.
- And, you have a hotline direct to our customer service department, and another for technical assistance, so you’re never alone.
Call Us Today at 1.800.999.2959!
You can enjoy all the benefits of being a Colorado Lottery retailer. Start by downloading and completing our Retailer Licensing forms and you’ll be on your way to making bigger profits!
Apply to become a Colorado Lottery retailer and earn the benefits that come with it.
BECOME A RETAILER
Every California State Lottery retailer plays an important part in our mission: to provide supplemental funding to benefit public education. Partnering with retailers like you, we’ve given over $37 billion to California’s public schools and colleges since our first Scratchers® ticket was sold in 1985.
Along with helping students, Lottery retailers enhance business in an exciting, fun way. It’s easy to become one, too, because our local representatives will help you every step of the way. Request an evaluation (PDF) today and we’ll contact you within 10 business days. Keep in mind that you need a PDF reader to open and print materials.
Since the Lottery began in 1985, retailers have earned over $6.1 billion in commissions and bonuses. On top of regular Lottery commissions on tickets you sell and redeem, when your customers win big, you will too. That’s because you’ll have a chance to earn half a percent on every Scratchers, Mega Millions ® and Powerball ® ticket you sell with a top prize of $1 million or more. See Retailer Incentives to learn all the fun ways you can earn Lottery commissions and bonuses.
You’ll also benefit in all these ways:
Jackpot frenzies and fresh marketing tools help drive traffic to your store.
New and exciting Scratchers games every month give customers a reason to keep coming back.
Studies show that for every $5 Lottery transaction, players spend an additional $10 in the store.
The Lottery provides up to 50 days net financing on Scratchers products
As a California Lottery retailer, you get a percentage of every ticket you sell, plus bonuses! And you’ll support education. Request an evaluation here.